Finding Your Happy Place

This past weekend, I found myself sitting on the back patio in the pitch black while my fire pit was crackling away and I listened to Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) on my bluetooth speaker. There was something magical about just staring off into the night sky listening to the raspy voice of John Fogarty and the southern country rock sound that is all too familiar to them. I wasn't worried about work, I really didn't care too much about watching college football, and I was enjoying the company of some good friends from out of town. It was one of those times where I wished I could just press pause on the moment and stay there because I had found my happy place.

We all need a happy place to retreat to from time to time. It's a necessary part of life to find that place and time that will allow us to clear our minds from all the troubles and fears we are facing. Unfortunately, we don't visit our happy place as much as we should because we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of this thing we call life and feel like we don't deserve this short respite because there is too much to do. I would argue, however, that our happy place is a necessary rest stop that we should visit on a regular basis for our own sake and for the sake of others. To not visit your happy place on the regular is like denying yourself the privilege to rest and relax because there are more important things to do. The truth is, there will always be things on your to-do list no matter what the situation is, so you might as well take the well-deserved break that is owed to you and be happy for a short moment.

A happy place doesn't need to be anything grandiose (although that would be nice from time to time). Instead, it could be something as simple as a quiet place with a good book. It doesn't need to be elaborate, it just needs to contain the prerequisite of a time and place that is going to free you from the burdens of every day life. For me, that is my back patio with a fire and CCR. I need to go back there soon because it was food for the soul. I think I'll make a reservation for next weekend and start planning the playlist now as a way to make sure it happens. I hope that you will start planning as well so you have something to look forward to. You won't regret it.

#OwnYourEpic #Embrace

 

No comments:

Post a Comment