White Belt Issue(s)

 

I love to golf. I'll admit that I am not any good at it, but I like the opportunity to compete with myself and disconnect with the world for about four hours. There is also something to be said about the mental side of the game and the ability to overcome frustration and disappointment and still manage to keep your game in check. For the most part, I am able to do this, but there is one thing that gets me every time and it happens before I even set foot on the first tee box. I call it the "white belt issue" and it bleeds over into every other aspect of my life as well. Let me explain.

If you have ever spent any time on a golf course, you will certainly see golfers show up in a variety of different outfits that cause you to take a double take. You know the people I am talking about. They are the folks that were knickers like its the 1920's or the ones that were some obnoxiously loud colors that scream, "Look at me!" I have to give these folks a lot of credit because it takes a lot of courage to step out of the house looking like this. Where I draw the line, however, is wearing a white belt. When I see I white belt on someone, I think of a scratch golfer who is really good and someone who is not to be trifled with. These are the types of players that you don't want to make side bets with because they probably have a serious golf game and will own you by the time the match is done. The problem is that white belts are popping up all over the place and people who are wearing them have no business trying that fashion forward style because their game doesn't even come close to the style they are choosing. It drives me nuts for some unknown reason, but the "white belt issue" is real for me and is in my head at all times.

We all have our own "white belt issues" and if you aren't sure what yours are, simply ask your friends, family, or significant other what they are and they will be able to tell you immediately because you talk about them all the time. They are those pet peeves that get under our skin and drive us nuts whenever they rear their ugly heads. They get us all fired up and take our focus off of more important things because we just can't get over them. We build these things up in our heads and try to rationalize why they are important issues, but more times than not, they are silly, insignificant issues that really have no bearing on how we go about our day. Instead, they are just annoying little things that, if left unchecked, can wreck our day if we let them. Typically, these issues are out of our control, but we let them control us to the point that we can't get back on track when they happen no matter how much we try to let it go. To make it worse, we then belabor the point even further by talking about it incessantly to those around us in the hope that we can get others to agree with us. 

I know I should just let it go, move on, and not let the outside noise get in my head, but I am human and tend to fixate on some things sometimes. I realize that I need to let go of these issues for my overall well-being and I will continue to work towards that. For now, however, I'm stuck on the white belts of the world and it probably explains my slice. FORE!!!

#OwnYourEpic #Embrace

Liking #OwnYourEpic? Check out Amazon for the book and begin writing your own epic today.