A Little Break...80's Style

 

The #OwnYourEpic blog is usually about educational issues related to culture, mindfulness, work/life balance, or a whole host of other educational issues. It's not lost on me that the people who happen to read my random thoughts on education are a pretty small contingency of folks that I have met personally or have connected with through social media. For most, what I write about is not their cup of tea or is too boring to spend a few minutes getting insight into the world of education and the lives of teachers. That's okay by me. I really don't write to accumulate an audience. Instead, I write because I find it therapeutic and it gives me a routine to follow. I know that every Sunday afternoon, no matter what is going on in my life, I will spend a few minutes putting together a blog for the upcoming week based on things that I have been thinking about. This week is no different, except that the thing I have been thinking about is Spring Break and a time to down shift and recharge for what is certainly going to be a fast and furious sprint to the finish line that is the end of the school year. In honor of this little break coming up, I would like to present awesome, yet sometimes obscure movies from the 1980's that bring me joy. For me, it's a way to write about something other than education and it might just give you, the reader, a binge list of movies that you haven't seen at all or you haven't seen in some time. So here is my best attempt at Siskel and Ebert...80's style.

BETTER OFF DEAD (1985)

No list of 80's movies would be complete without one that stars John Cusack. It's hard to find this movie on Netflix, Amazon, or another streaming service, so that is why I have it on DVD. Yes, I own a DVD and have a DVD/VCR combo player in my house in the event that I need to go back even further and bring out the VCR tapes. I digress, however. What I absolutely love about this movie are all the great one-liners that I will pull out on a regular basis and no one really has a clue where they came from.

  • "It's got raisins in it. You like raisins."
  • "I’ve been going to this high school for seven and a half years! I’m no dummy!"
  • "Four weeks, twenty papers, that’s $2 dollars. Plus tip."
  • "Gee, I’m really sorry your mom blew up, Ricky. The doctor says she’ll be okay, but she won’t be able to eat any spicy foods for a while."
  • "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."
You really can't go wrong with this movie. It's not Say Anything with an iconic boom box and Peter Gabriel song, but it does have some really cool scenes that you will remember forever.

SUMMER RENTAL (1985)

An air traffic controller is losing it and his boss gives him a break to go to Florida with his family. Let the fun ensue. Whether it is showing up and staying in the wrong rental house, getting sun burnt so bad that you could fry and egg on your skin, this movie is sure to provide you with some laughs. If anything, you will enjoy seeing a seafood restaurant converted into a sailing boat and underwear serving a purpose other than its intended use. Finally, its got John Candy in it, so that should be enough.



WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S (1989)

What is not to like about two guys getting invited to a beach house to live it up for the weekend with their rich boss? You've got the beach, sun, a really cool house and of course, a dead guy. The problem is that Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman try to make it look like Bernie (Terry Kiser...1957 Westside High School graduate) is still alive and the life of the party. They go to great lengths to keep the charade going. The movie is perfectly summed up in the line, "
What kind of a host invites you to his house for the weekend and dies on you?" You will definitely be entertained by all the hi jinx that ensue is this awesome comedy.

AIRPLANE! (1980)

Airplane! has produced more one-liners than any other movie of all time. This absurdly farcical comedy is non-stop laughs from beginning to end and after one viewing, you will absolutely find ways to infuse classic lines into your every day vernacular.

Elaine Dickinson: A hospital? What is it?
Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Hanging Lady: Nervous?
Ted Striker: Yes.
Hanging Lady: First time?
Ted Striker: No, I've been nervous lots of times.

Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

GLEAMING THE CUBE (1989)

Let's be real here. The movie plot isn't great, but there are some really cool skateboarding scenes. Also, Christian Slater is 1980's royalty, so it has that going for it. Slater's adopted brother uncovers a business sending weapons to Vietnam instead of medications and gets killed for having the information. Slater then goes on a skateboarding crusade to investigate the murder himself because the police think it was a suicide. The movie features a young Tony Hawk and Pizza Hut delivery car that actually resembles the roof of a Pizza Hut restaurant. 
I'll admit that I am not a BMX fan or understand the culture, but after watching this classic, I wanted to go out and get a BMX bike and get to work on being a pro. This is a feel good, underdog movie, where the lead character, Cru Jones, has to overcome some pretty big odds for his "Rad Racing Team" to defeat the top BMX factory rider, Bart Taylor. Like other 80's movies in this list, the plot line isn't great, but the music gets you hooked and you will definitely want to get on a bike by the time the show is over.

This list is not exhaustive by any means, but it sure was fun to take a little break and research some movies from my childhood. I may just have to go digging in the old VHS tapes to see if I can actually uncover a few of these gems. I'll probably be the only one watching them in my household, but at least it will give me something to do over Spring Break to take my mind off of work.

#OwnYourEpic #Embrace

Liking #OwnYourEpic? Check out Amazon for the book and begin writing your own epic today.