Hanging On


So here we are. We are a few weeks into the new school year and things have been moving at a frenetic pace as we are trying to get settled and get into a groove. For me personally, I'm frustrated with myself because I don't know everyone's name even though I have been trying really hard, I am working late into the night and feel like I still haven't made a dent in my work, my priority list seems to shift every single day, and I still can't figure out my organizational strategy that is going to work best for me. I'm my own worst critic and it probably isn't as bad as what I have built it up to be in my head, but to be honest, I'm barely hanging on. It is in these times that Smash Mouth goes on repeat in my inner soundtrack.


Work/Life balance is like that sometimes. When we have too much to do and not enough time in the day to do it, we can get overwhelmed and find ourselves in hole that we can't get out of. The reality of the situation is that we probably dug that hole ourselves and we keep digging because we think we are going to find answers. Let me tell you from experience that there are no answers to be found at the bottom of the hole. What we really need is someone to throw us a life line to help us get out and hang on for dear life until we get out of the hole we are in. There are some things, however, that we can do to help out.


We can start by giving ourselves a little grace and not expecting everything to be perfect. We can also extend that to our colleagues who may be feeling the same way, but won't tell us. We are all probably in the same boat, but we don't want to give the impression that we don't have our act together. It is okay though to show that vulnerability and ask for help. It isn't weak to ask for assistance and as soon as we figure that out, we may actually stop digging our hole deeper.


So here we are. We're barely hanging on, but you know what? We've got a lot of time left in this school year to get out of the hole that we are in. It may take a few days or weeks to finally get where we want to be, but if we can just hang on, we might actually find some joy in the ride. If we can just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and give ourselves a little leniency on our own high expectations of ourselves, we might actually be able to accomplish some pretty amazing things. As the icon trio of Wilson Phillips once said, "hold on for one more day."

#OwnYourEpic #Connect

Liking #OwnYourEpic? Check out Amazon for the book and begin writing your own epic today.