Our Future is Bright - Part II



I have to admit, there are definitely days that I have had in my career that I don't want to relive. The type of days that, when you arrive home from school, you just want to crawl into bed and go to sleep because that is the only way that you can find solace. Fortunately, those days are few and far between because I am blessed to work in a field that gives me daily reminders that the future is bright and young people can do amazing things if we give them a chance.

Recently, I had a run-in with some folks who were not too fond of my school's student section and the behavior they exhibited during a game. It was a close game with spirited student sections yelling loudly and questionable officiating that was contested by both fan bases. In essence, it was a typical high school athletic contest. As I drove home after the game and reflected on the night (as I typically do), I thought about what went well and what could have been done differently. It was in this moment, that I remembered a blog I wrote in August of 2013 entitled Our Future is Bright. The reason this came to mind was because it was a situation where my students rose to the occasion and provided proof that our youth have a lot to offer this world if we will only give them a chance. One of my core beliefs is that ALL students are worth the time and effort to invest in. Sure, some are going to need more time than others and will push you away if you try to get close, but those are the ones you need to bring in even closer. There are no throw away kids.

Kids are going to test boundaries and cross the line from time to time and how we react is going to serve as a major lesson in what kind of relationship we are going to have with them. We can be quick to judge or we can be empathetic, kind, and coach them up to be better. If you choose the former, chances are you are going to have more run-ins with student behavior because it then becomes a game for kids to see what buttons they can push. If you choose the latter, you have a real opportunity to change behaviors and build a relationship based on mutual respect. I truly believe that students can and will rise to the occasion and I place a great deal of trust in them that they will represent our school and community with pride and respect. Have students let me down? Absolutely. Do I hold it against them? Never.

I am grateful for students who are involved in their school, who contribute to school spirit, and make the atmosphere a fun and entertaining environment. Just like any other educator, I get frustrated when they cross the line, but I am not going to condemn them to eternal damnation for being teenagers. More times than not they surprise me with their creativity, kindness, and love for their school. Like I've said before, our future is bright!

#ONWARD














































No comments:

Post a Comment