Spring "Break"


A couple of weeks back was Spring Break for my school district and it couldn't have come soon enough. In the life cycle of educators, we need breaks here and there to refill our buckets so we can be rejuvenated in the classroom for our students. For those that are not in the profession, these breaks (spring break, holiday break, summer, etc.) are seen as perks and vacation, but those of us who live in schools know better. There is no sense in getting into a debate with people who don't know the world of education because they really won't understand or see the light unless they have lived it. They look at our world through the lens of their own educational experience. That's not a bad thing, it's just an apples and oranges comparison.


Teacher breaks are essential to the profession to avoid burnout. In our world, we give of ourselves to students and families to the point of exhaustion, sometimes without regard to our own physical and mental health and well-being. We do it because we are driven by a passion for kids and helping them find success. We do it because we were born to do it. We do it because there aren't a lot of people who can. While I am a George Bernard Shaw fan, I think he did the world a disservice when he penned "Those who can, do; Those that can't, teach." I'll give him a pass on this one because everyone makes mistakes and as a teacher I want people to learn from their mistakes. Although Shaw has long since passed, I feel it is my duty to keep teaching until we can subject this phrase to the graveyard never to be seen again. I would rather rephrase this to "Those who can, teach; Those that can't, support." This assumes positive intention and also honors the professionals who give their lives to support kids. It includes understanding that breaks are necessary for both the students and the adults.


I'll admit, I worked over my spring break, but it was on things that filled my bucket and re-energized me for the home stretch of the school year. I filled my bucket so I can return to work in order to fill others. After all, none of us can really serve others to the best of our ability if we are constantly running on empty. For educators, that break is a powerful reminder that it's okay to be a little selfish and think about yourself sometimes. That's why the breaks are there, so use them to your advantage and don't apologize for taking the time for yourself. Your students, your community, and most importantly, you will be grateful that you did. Now, let's finish this year on a high note and look forward to summer "break."


#OwnYourEpic #Connect