Life On A Treadmill


 I've had this ongoing conversation with a colleague of mine about running on a treadmill versus going outside and hitting the trails. I have contended that although I know exercise is good for my health, I dislike running so much that I need as many distractions as possible to take my mind off the fact that I am doing something I don't like. A treadmill affords me that opportunity because I can be listening to a podcast while at the same time I can be watching sports highlights on a screen that covers up the treadmill details of my workout. To me, the workout goes by quicker because my mind is on something completely different than the actual workout that I am doing. If I would do the workout on the trails, I could still listen to my podcast and I could take in all the nature around me, but I would also be subjecting others to seeing a middle-age fat guy struggling to move. I know it isn't about them, but I am cognizant of the visual image that might hurt others. That is why I choose to live a life on a treadmill. I'm racking up the miles by staying in the same place, but still moving forward in the process.


I sometimes feel like a treadmill is a perfect analogy for how I go about my day. I start and progress only to feel like I haven't gotten anywhere by the end of the day. I sometimes get the sense that I am working really hard to attain something only to feel like I am not going fast enough and not really accomplishing anything because I always end up in the same place. I then realize that this is just my mind playing tricks on me and making me feel like I'm not doing something worthwhile even though I really am. Yes, I am staying in the same place for an extended period of time, but I am also moving forward, doing new things, and exploring different ideas that I think are helping me become a better person.


From a workout perspective, I totally get why people dislike treadmills. From a life perspective, however, I think a life on a treadmill is far from boring. You are logging the literal miles moving forward, taking care of yourself physically, and you are giving yourself the freedom and space to explore your thoughts and think deep thoughts from the comfort of your own home. You get to make the choice of how fast you are going to go, whether or not you are going to challenge yourself by putting on an incline, and you can change between running and walking whenever you like. You can do all these things without the judgment of others who may be watching you if you were doing this in a more public setting. In essence, you are practicing and exercising real life in a fashion that will only help you when you actually have to face real life scenarios.


Indeed, I am not an expert on this topic and you probably shouldn't take advice from an overweight, middle-aged man who struggles with setting boundaries and expectations between his personal and professional life. Keeping this in mind, I do feel that life on a treadmill isn't as boring as some might think if they choose to look at it from a different perspective. That perspective is that although you may feel like you are constantly working and moving and not really going anywhere, are you really static or is it your mind playing tricks on you and you believing it. If that is the case, try jumping on a treadmill and do a deep dive into your thoughts and focus on the real growth that is happening.


#OwnYourEpic #Connect