Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying


I was up late the other night working on my end of the year evaluations and I came across one of my favorite movies of all time, The Shawshank Redemption. I happened to turn it on right as Morgan Freeman delivers his classic line (seen above) and I immediately had an idea for a blog. By no means am I trying to make an analogy between schools and prisons, but instead, want to point out that the message of, "Get busy living or get busy dying" is relevant to anyone's career. What strikes me most about this clip is that this reminds me of what I should be doing when I leave the office every day, but inevitably do not.


The fact of the matter is that too often, I find myself sitting at my desk telling myself that I just need to get one more thing done before I leave for the day as if completing that task is going to put an immediate end to the workflow that needs to get completed. This is a concept that I think a lot of educators can relate to. I have done some soul searching over the past year and have come to a realization that I have not listened to the advice I have heard a million times when I watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around a little, you might miss it." Teaching is hard work. I mean really, really, really HARD work. It can suck the life out of you if you don't slow down and take some time for yourself and your family. I personally think that this is why some teachers get jaded and leave the profession. A healthy balance of work and life would do all teachers some good. With that being said, here are the top 5 things that I am working on to slow down enjoy the great profession of education.


NO emailing after 8 pm
I have to admit, this is really difficult. I have always prided myself on responding back to people in a timely manner. Additionally, I have OCD about having an empty email inbox. What I have discovered is that I when I email past 8 pm, I am not practicing what I am preaching. I want my teachers to have boundaries on their time, but when I am sending emails late at night, I am not modeling this behavior myself. I am sending a mixed messages. So, I took the advice of my wife and turned my iPhone notifications for email off and I don't send emails past 8 pm. Guess what? Those phantom buzzes that you sometimes get when you are without your phone go away. It is liberating and people know that if they send you an email at night, they can expect to not receive a response until the morning. Try it for a couple of weeks and I guarantee you will love it.


DON'T bring your computer home
I know this may seem like blasphemy for some, but it truly makes your life a lot easier. I am far from perfect, but I have reduced the number of nights I bring my computer home significantly (2 times a week) and I feel so much better about myself. I am now finding that I am engaging with my wife and kids more rather than focusing on a screen.


Get out into classrooms just to WATCH
When you are having a rough day or are feeling lethargic at work, go sit in another teacher's classroom and just watch. It is amazing how this helps because you get to see your colleagues do some really cool things and you don't have to manage the classroom. Also, you get to see the look on kids' faces when they learn something new, which you might not see in your own classroom because you are so focused on your plans.


Write, Write, Write, and Write some more
I gave up on my writing after earning my undergraduate degree and it was a HUGE mistake. Since I have started blogging, I have been able to get my thoughts out and it serves as somewhat of a release. You don't have to be a great writer, you just have to be comfortable sharing your thoughts. You do it every day in the classroom, so just make the leap and put together a blog or start a journal.


Stop talking and get to DOING
Complaining about something may feel good in the moment, but if you do it too often and too much, it will suck the life out of you. You have a choice to continue complaining or doing something about it. If you don't like the way something is working, fix it. If you don't like having the same conversation with a colleague over and over again, stop it and tell them to fix it. Negativity will suck the life out of you and those around you. Stand up and do something to fix it.


There you have it. These are the things that I am working on right now. I'd like to know what you are working on these days.