HELP!

 


This past week we had a snow storm that led to a couple of virtual learning days and a snow day. It was a beautiful snow fall and it brought back so many memories from my childhood where I would get all bundled up and go outside to sled or just mess around in the snow. I was also reminded of the work involved in shoveling snow and how much it hurts my back. After I was done shoveling, I realized that I didn't create a spot in the backyard for my bulldog Winston. Fortunately, my awesome bride took on the task herself and I was able to catch it on video. As I watched her work and observed our dog making the task increasingly more difficult, I was reminded of the moments in life when we try to help people, but end up making things even more difficult for them in the process. I know Winston was just playing and wasn't being malicious, but his energy and enthusiasm was making it really difficult for my bride to help him out.


As I watch this video and laugh because Winston is so full of energy and is extremely curious about the snow, I can't help but think about how this type of occurrence takes place in the world of education on a daily basis. Teachers work tirelessly to help students find success, but sometimes they get disengagement and apathy in return. It's frustrating and demoralizing because teachers put so much time and effort into helping students and sometimes they get nothing in return. I'm sure we would all love to have students like Winston who are curious and playful, but that isn't always the case and we are left wondering why we even put in the effort in the first place. The simple answer is because we love our kids and we love what we do. We are chasing that one moment where the light bulb goes off and our students finally get it. That time doesn't always come, but it doesn't stop us from trying.


Teaching is not easy and my friend Trevor Muir does an excellent job of encapsulating that notion in this video. Teachers teach because they love kids and they have hope that they can reach even the most reluctant learners. They invest in our future even though they might not see the dividends it will pay. They teach because they have a gift that others don't necessarily possess and that is the patience to wait for the Winston's of the world to come out of their shell and delight in the joy of learning. Let's support them as they do this work instead of beating them down and expecting them to do more with less. Let's answer their calls for help and support them in doing the most noble work anyone can do.


#OwnYourEpic #Connect