Escalators and Stairways

I spent some time recently going through my personal Google Drive and was cleaning things up a little because I wasn't happy with my organizational strategy that I had in place. While I was doing my digital cleanup, I came across a file that had a bunch of links to videos that I bookmarked for future blogs. I was amazed that I had curated so many videos, but hadn't written one blog about any of them, until now. The first one I watched can be found HERE and I immediately knew that I had to write about it. It perfectly summed up the feelings that I have been experiencing for the past few weeks. Like the folks in the video, I have been stuck on the metaphorical escalator and I haven't been able to figure out how to get off of it, even though the answer was literally just making the choice to step forward and understanding that the escalator is now a set of stairs.


Perspective and point of view are two critical traits that allow people to look at a negative and turn it into a positive. Mitch Hedberg once said, "An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." If you reflect on this for some time, you will realize that the path of least resistance, while convenient, is not always the right path. We are all going to get stuck at some point, but we just need to realize that changing our perspective and point of view can snap us out of the funk that we are in.

If I'm being honest, I'm exhausted and right now I am more likely to take an escalator instead of the stairs. I want something easy that isn't going to require much effort. I want people to be happy. I want to see people smile. I want to hear laughter and experience a prolonged period of joy. I want the escalator to work because I am tired of taking the stairs. But alas, I realize that I am not pizza and I cannot make everyone happy. I am only in control of myself, so if I have to take the stairs, I might as well have fun doing it. Ultimately, that's all I can ask for and it just requires that I make a personal decision to move forward.


#ONWARD #FORGE