Be Curious, Not Judgmental

 


I'm a huge fan of Ted Lasso on Apple TV+. There is something inspiring about an American football coach who travels overseas to become a professional soccer coach even though he knows nothing about the game. It is a great fish out of water story complete with British accents and humor. During an episode I recently watched, Ted was playing a game of darts in the local pub for a pretty significant wager. During the scene, he references the statement, "be curious, not judgmental" which he attributes to Walt Whitman. While giving credit to Whitman may be a point of contention, what isn't up for debate is the fact that the words ring true. During a time when a lot of people are angry and frustrated about a lot of different issues, we are better served giving people a piece of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.


I've always respected people's thoughts, feedback, and opinions even though I may disagree with them. I've looked people in the eye and apologized when I was wrong and didn't gloat when I was right. I've treated people the way that I want to be treated even though it was not reciprocated. This was how I was raised and I thank my parents for setting an excellent example for me as I was growing up. It isn't always easy to do these things, but if it were easy, everyone would do it. I still fall short a lot of times, but I'm committed to growing and being curious. I don't want to be the person who is pouring gasoline onto an already raging inferno and cast judgment onto those who see things differently from me. I want to extend an olive branch and agree to disagree. It's hard, especially when you feel you are under attack from all different angles, but that's when listening and thinking become important assets to have.


You don't have to look too far to find someone who is angry or hurting. In schools, we see this on a daily basis with children and adults. Expecting schools to look different than the community in which they reside is unrealistic. Challenges in the community are challenges that the school is facing. We need to look at these challenges through the lens of curiosity rather than judgement. Solutions are never as simple, but being intentional about solving issues and putting in hard work will certainly yield positive results. We are at a point where we need to lean on one another, utilize the talents of those around us, and row together in the same direction even though we may have different ideas on how to get to the destination. After all, it's not rocket science. It's simply understanding that people are wired differently and have their own thoughts and feelings. Your only responsibility is to be curious, not judgmental.


Barbecue Sauce!


#ONWARD #FORGE