1 Million Minutes



I've always believed that the only thing that is constant in our lives is change. In order to grow and move forward on the #RoadToAwesome, we need to step outside of our comfort zone and take on new challenges. Taking these steps are difficult and cause you to go through a whirlwind of emotions. You oftentimes find yourself questioning yourself and wondering if you are making the right move. The result is anxiety, stress, and heartbreak over whether or not you are doing the right thing. The thing is, when you are doing this, you are robbing yourself of the moment and you are wasting valuable time that could be used elsewhere.


Recently, I made the bold decision to leave my comfort zone and pursue another opportunity in different state. I have spent the last couple of months saying goodbye to students, teachers, and families that I have gotten to know over the past eight years. At the Commencement Ceremony at the end of the school year, I reminded our seniors that they have spent a little over 300,000 minutes of their lives in high school. I further reminded them that their time IS NOT up, but rather, is just starting. They get the choice of how they are going to spend this time and they have an opportunity to define the limits they are going to set for themselves. It is now time for me to heed my own advice.

By my count, I have spent a little over 1 million minutes serving as principal of my current school. I have worked side by side with amazing educators in an effort to help them be better than they ever thought they could be. I asked them to step outside of their comfort zone, take risks, and try new things. Together, we have accomplished some amazing things. We have gone through serious change, we have laughed and cried together, and we have grown closer as a work family. We have made a positive difference in the lives of countless students that we won't realize until years later. It is now time for me to heed my own advice.

After 1 million minutes it is time for me to step outside of my comfort zone, take a risk, and try new things. I'd be a hypocrite if I expected others to do this, but not myself. As a leader, it is important to seek out opportunities for growth and experience opportunities to struggle, grapple, and learn new things. When we do this, time is not up, but rather, it is starting over. I learned a great deal in my first million minutes and I am forever grateful to those who helped me spend them. They are part of my epic journey and all hold a special place in my heart. While my time is up in my current school, it is not stopping. The journey ahead is filled with great excitement and awesome opportunities and I look forward to seeing what comes next. I have no preconceived notions on how the next 1 million minutes are are going to be spent other than it is going to be a hell of a ride. I'm doing my best to not be stressed or filled with anxiety because I know it is going to rob me of the moment. Instead, I am going to heed my own advice and live in the moment. 

2 comments:

  1. We feel privileged to have had our children attend KHS! How did we get so blessed? Good luck! Indiana isn't that far away! Change is hard, but good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Undoubtedly it is the best explanation of the Indian education system. Moreover, education and
    residential school in Bhopal
    are also booming at a great pace. The number of best cbse school in kolar are also increasing as many parents wants to give the best education to their children. The beneficial curriculum of CBSE becomes famous which influenced a number of parents to enrol their children in the Top 10 school in bhopal . Among them, all Best play school in Bhopal are popular in Bhopal.

    ReplyDelete