Prioritizing the Intersections Of Your Life


I had a conversation recently with my good friend Nathan Eklund and we got into a really deep discussion about leadership. As our conversations typically go, he asked me about where I was at in my leadership journey and where the road might take me. It was during this conversation that he mentioned that I needed to prioritize the intersections of my life so that as I traveled down the road, I could plan out my path. These intersections are the core relationships that provide the foundation for my journey and the people/teams that will help me reach my destination.

You see, each of us is on our own path/journey. We make decisions daily about whether we are going to take a meandering stroll or if we are going to walk with a purpose. The point is that we need to be intentional about the path that we are walking. When it comes to leadership and leading an organization of people, the more intentional you are in mapping out where you are going, the better off you and your organization are going to be. Without the map, you may end up wandering aimlessly with no clear destination. While this may be exciting for the people who are up for an adventure, it has the potential to wreak havoc on a culture when you are leading an organization. It is the intersections (relationships) that you encounter along your way that will determine your route.

As I reflected on this conversation, I began to wonder how in the world I would begin to prioritize the multitude of intersections that exist in my life. I have made it a practice of mine to sleep and eat on things before making a decision on how to proceed and with that process came more clarity. I was able to make a list of my values as a leader and then began to examine all the intersections in my life to create a priority list. While it isn't a perfect science, I think that there are three very important things that need to be considered when you begin to navigate your intersection priorities.

PASSENGER OR HITCHHIKER
Whether you have picked up a hitchhiker or not, these are people who will go along with you on your path for a short while, but then disappear. The people you need to prioritize are your passengers. These are the folks that will stick with you in spite of all of your flaws and failures and still choose to ride with you. They are the ones that will provide you counsel and help you navigate the road you are on. You must be careful because hitchhikers can provide some excitement and share some awesome stories with you about their own travels, but they are all about themselves and their own journey. Prioritize your passengers and the intersections they present. They are the ones that are in it for the long haul with you and will help you discover a lot about yourself along your journey.

PARTNERSHIP OR COMPETITION
A wise man once told me that if you are keeping score, a partnership is destined to fail. A partnership isn't about who benefits more. It is about both parties benefiting. Sometimes you might get the short end of the partnership, but other times, you will move ahead. In a partnership, both parties win although one side may win more than others. The second you start keeping score, it turns in to a competition and the partnership becomes transactional. This type of relationship has an expiration date. When looking at your intersections, identify which are partnerships and which are based on competition. No matter how much you might benefit from the competition, the returns will be short lived and lead you down a path that will take you to a different destination. Keep your focus on the long road and prioritize your partnerships.

HIGHWAY OR GRAVEL ROAD
It's your journey, so you are going to need to figure out how you want to get there. If you choose to do it all by highway, you will travel quickly, but may bypass some important intersections along the way. Conversely, if you take the gravel roads all the time, you might find yourself lost in the middle of nowhere. What you need to realize is that how fast you get to your destination is not the point. Rather, it's the journey that you will take that is important. Highways and gravel roads should be a part of everyone's path. The intersections in your life will direct you and help determine where you will go next.

Your charge now is to stop looking at Google Maps to help you figure out where you go next. Go old school and pick up the atlas and look at all the different routes that can take you where you want to go. Before you take off, however, prioritize the intersections you want to take.

2 comments:

  1. Hitchhiker~Partnership~Gravel Road. I identify more with the hitchhiker at this point because I literally just started driving for Uber. I wonder what these intersections will teach me. With only a dozen rides under my belt, I can already tell my empathy is strengthening. I strive for partnership in all areas of my life, but often slide into competition when I feel like I'm doing more than my share. The gravel road is how I prefer to travel, but you've given me a different way to view it in my leadership journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny, sis! It is a hard process to prioritize those that are going to help you most along your path. They are the ones that deserve your attention because they make you a better person.

      Delete