What Kind of Principal/Leader Do You Recognize?

I'm not going to lie. I watch A LOT of movies. My wife sometimes gives me grief because I tend to watch some movies over and over and have them memorized. What I don't tell her is that each time I watch a movie, I analyze character traits and sometimes try to match them to various leadership styles that I have encountered throughout my time in education. I know this sort of defeats the purpose of watching a movie and enjoying it for what it is, but you have to be a little crazy to be a high school principal and my mind tends to wander towards educational topics regardless of the setting.

With that being said, I want to play a little game with you all called "Which Movie Character Best Epitomizes Leadership Styles I Encounter in Schools." Take a look at the videos below as well as my interpretation of leadership style and see which character best describes the type of leaders you encounter in schools. 

The Norman Dale Leadership Style

Norman Dale is a "my way or the highway" type of leader that evolves throughout the movie. This scene was more about setting the tone for how things were going to be on his team. By the end of the movie, it was apparent that Coach Dale learned as much from his team as they learned from him. He goes from unempathetic to having a heart and realizing that a little give and take and building relationships with those that he leads goes a long way.

The Joe Carter Leadership Style
Principal Carter makes no bones about it. He does not operate his school as a democracy, but rather, as a dictatorship. His focus is on raising test scores, discipline, and order. He is a loud talker. He demands respect and if he doesn't get it, he will get rid of you. Principal Carter does evolve throughout the movie as well, but for the most part, he maintains his character points throughout the movie.

The Ed Rooney Leadership Style
Edward Rooney is the type of leader who doesn't trust his students and will do everything in his power to catch them doing something wrong. I'm not too sure if he has any redeeming qualities other than his insatiable urge to never quit. Edward Rooney is comic relief as a leader because it appears that no one, other than his secretary, likes him.

The Principal Jacob's Leadership Style
Principal Jacob's calls a spade a spade and has a fierce conversation with a disgruntled Mr. Holland. She let's him know that teaching is not just about filling young minds with knowledge, but also, is a role that requires a person to be a compass. It is quickly followed by Mr. Holland stating that he "hates that woman." Principal Jacobs calls it as she sees it and shows the audience the responsibility that leaders have to be open and honest with staff.

Overall, it is interesting how Hollywood portrays educational leaders. Too often, they shown in a negative light, even though there is a ton of research that correlates good schools to strong and effective principals. Just once, it would be refreshing to see the school principal shown in a positive light from beginning to end. It probably wouldn't gross a lot at the box office, but I would definitely buy a ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment