A New Way Of Thinking...



I was recently invited to attend the Pathways to Prosperity Conference that will be held at Harvard University in March. The focus of the conference is to discuss the University's research on how to meet the challenges of educating our 21st Century learners. Check out the full report HERE.


As I gear up for this great opportunity, it got me thinking about how education has evolved and where we need to go in the future. We need to prepare students for anything they might be interested in and providing them guidance in how to get there. In order to do so, we (educators) need to change some of our own beliefs for the good of our students. Here are a few...


CHANGE THE WAY YOU INSTRUCT
In her book Explicit Instruction, Dr. Anita Archer states "Instruction should be based on students' needs and guided by research rather than by a personal philosophy." When I read this, I immediately thought back to my days in the classroom and how I dictated what was taught rather than the student. If I could go back in time, I would slap myself silly for having this arrogance. Students should be at the center of instruction and their needs, not your own, should be what drives instruction.


COLLEGE DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN 4-YEAR COLLEGE
All students should have a chance to go to college. The thing we need to change is our perception of what college is. There are lots of jobs available right now for people without going to a 4-year university. Jobs that will pay a good wage and provide stability for a family. I challenge you to look at your data from your school. How many students actually go to a 4-year college after graduation? How many of them are still enrolled after their first semester? You might be surprised.


VOCATIONAL EDUCATION IS NOT JUST FOR "THOSE KIDS"
We need to smash the stereotype of vocational education. It is not the same as in the "olden" days. I go round and round with my father (the retired shop teacher) about this, but the fact is that vocational education is not just for "those kids" any more. With the advent of STEM and programs like Project Lead the Way (PLTW), vocational education is about critical thinking and collaboration to solve problems. This is good for ALL KIDS.


LIBERAL ARTS EDUCATION IS NOT DEAD, BUT NEEDS TO BE TWEAKED
Developing well-rounded students and giving them multiple choices is the hallmark of American education and should stay that way. The major change to this is process is providing interdisciplinary connections to career pathways so that students get a better understanding of what awaits them in the future. Wouldn't it be fantastic for your students who want to be doctors to get their English, math, science, and social studies courses delivered to them in the context of medicine?


THINK DIFFERENTLY
Has education really changed all that much since John Dewey? Everyone talks about needing to reform education, but no one really wants to take that huge step and try something new. If it fails, it fails. At least you can say you tried it. I look at schools who are trying different things and want that so desperately for my school. I think it can happen and know that we have the right people on the bus to make it work. I have never been surrounded by such a forward thinking staff who truly want to make a difference. Time will tell if we reach our goal. Stay tuned...