What I LIVE for...



I'm not going to lie. I am a little weird. I find enjoyment in the little things at school that others may not even notice. Sometimes I have to remind myself why I got in to administration for in the first place, so I thought it would be appropriate to get a written document going on what  I LIVE for... as a principal.


I LIVE for...

  • sitting in a classroom and watching the perfect lesson take shape. A lesson in which students and teachers are learning together and students are actually engaged in their learning.
  • Friday Night Lights. All seems right in the world during football season.
  • standing in an empty hallway with my eyes shut when school is not in session and just picturing the school in my head.
  • students walking across the stage at graduation, shaking my hand, and seeing the pride in their eyes.
  • Monday mornings. I don't have a job, I have a way of life.
  • getting my hands dirty in problem solving. If it needs to get solved, I will stay up all hours of the night to get it figured out.
  • teachers who love their jobs and who are committed to excellence.
  • students finally figuring out something that they are great at and seeing their faces when they do figure it out.
  • listening to kids talk and try to figure out the world they are in. They are quite insightful.
  • having former students coming up to me after they have graduated and tell me what they are up to.
  • having teachers who have retired or moved on stay connected and visit with me about all the good times they had while they were teaching.
  • engaging others in meaningful conversation about what education is and how we can make it better.
  • communities who support their schools and realize that education is the key to a prosperous future.
  • teaching teachers
  • seeing students and teachers come in on Monday mornings with totally different expectations for what the day holds for them.
  • serving people
  • the sense of accomplishment that comes when I work with teachers to accomplish a task.
  • being excellent in all facets of my job (I am not there yet)
  • The sound of lockers
  • seeing students interact with one another during lunch.
  • Board of Education meetings. Seriously! I think it is phenomenal that unpaid, publicly elected officials come together to talk education on a regular basis. That is so cool.
  • hiring future educators who come in with wide eyes and wide open minds. The world is their oyster.
  • people asking for help. Not everyone can do everything. We are all in this together and need to support one another.
  • sitting in my office at the end of the day, turning on the iTunes, and reflecting on all the FANTASTIC things that were accomplished today.

If you work in a school, what do you LIVE for...